Thursday, April 24, 2008

High School Days

I went to high school in McHenry, Il. from 1962 until 1966, when I graduated. My first day at high school didn't start out very well. I guess my mom and I got the time wrong for what time I should be there. She dropped me off and for some reason school didn't start for a few hours. I didn't know what to do since I didn't see anyone else so I found some steps inside the school and just sat there until other kids started to show up. We had to have 16 credits in order to graduate and take 4 years of gym. I still remember our gym uniform. It was a dark blue one piece short set. We had to have our last name sewn on the back. Mom did that and I can still see how nice of a job she did. Every time I cross stitched something, I thought of my name on the back of my gym uniform! The girls had to wear dresses or skirts that were long enought so that if you kneeled on your knees it would touch the floor. No pants or shorts for us! On one of the first days of school, I met a girl named Marilyn Cima. She became my best friend all through high school. Every day before school we would meet at the same place outside our Latin class. She taught me to knit so I was able to make a pink sweater for my home ec class. I got an A on it! I didn't like school too well. I didn't get very good grades but I made it to graduation! I never went to many places with friends especially when we went to live with my aunt Eloise. We were allowed to go to only one place a week. I usually went to a dance with Marilyn held on Sunday night from 7-10 at the roller rink. Sometimes I walked to another friends house not too far from us. We would usually listen to her record albums. My sisters and I always had to clean the house at Eloises on Saturday. I remember cleaning and cleaning and Eloise would come home and would say that it was not good enough. We would also have to do all the cooking, laundry and babysitting. I did date a few boys during my high school years. After I graduated I wanted to become a stewardess on an airplane or a veternarian. I had no idea how I could even do that so I never did either. The day after I graduated from high school I went to live with my grandma and grandpa. I worked at an office supply store called SOS (suburban office supply).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the next entry! Everything you said is just as I remember also!

Anonymous said...

I wrote that last comment, but for some reason I can't get my name to come up!
Love, Deb

Anonymous said...

Once again, you have a great memory.
Maybe Deb should start a blog too!!!
cmg

Jennifer said...

For not liking school too much, you sure did learn to write well. So many of the middle schoolers I work with have such a hard time just writing a complete sentence. You also have so many other wonderful talents!! See you very soon! Miss you!